Day by Day

A mama blogs the journey to transplant and beyond...

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Packing Up



Chris called me when I was almost to the hospital this morning. He said that the doctors had been through and they were talking about us going home for Thanksgiving. I had not had my heart set on going back to Reno for Thanksgiving even though I wanted to because of the way things had been so up in the air. What they meant by us going home for Thanksgiving was more along the lines of going home for good. I had thought that I was going to have a little time to prepare to go home, like go through all of the stuff that we had accumulated over the past three months. So we are leaving tomorrow after labs and tomorrow is the 22nd - 3 months to the day that we arrived here in Palo Alto.

Everything is all lines up back home. We called the local pharmacy that we had been going to when Joaquin was still on dialysis for our medicines. I looked on our prescription insurance's website and the pharmacy was on their list of providers, but when we called the insurance company they said they weren't and when we called the pharmacy they said they were. But they said that they can compound Joaquin's meds so we don't have to go through the Walgreen's in Arizona, of all places. I'm hoping that will work out because I'm ready to get this all settled. I think part of the reason that they're hustling us home so soon is also because our insurance keeps wanting to pull stunts on us and the doctors think that once we're home it will be happening less... I'm not so sure of that but I'm just ready to go home. We have enough meds to last us for a while and so I can worry about that in the next few days.

The plan as far as follow up care is that we will be coming back down to Palo Alto every Monday for clinic appointments for a few weeks and then we will probably be going down twice a month and then soon it will be just monthly visits. Part of me doesn't feel like we're ready or stable enough to go home but if the doctors are the one's pushing for it, then they must feel like we're ready. I know once I get home I'll feel more better too. I remember last year when we were going home after Joaquin's birth and our subsequent stay in Palo Alto. I was so nervous about going home and then as we drew closer and closer to the mountains and then to the summit and down into Reno... I was so excited. I know it'll be this way this time. Our friends and family are excited for us to come home and we're going to be together with everyone for Thanksgiving when I thought that we weren't going to. It's funny how I thought for a while that we'd be home by Thanksgiving and then I didn't think so and now we are. I'm glad it all worked out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
This is surely something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!!!
Much Love & Many Blessings,
Meghan & Phamily

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the best news! Meghan hit it on the head: this is truly something to be THANKFUL for!! And as you get closer to home, I am sure the good feelings will wrap around you like a big hug from everyone that loves you.

Safe travels home to you all.

Love,
Molly

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness Meghan, that's absolutely amazing!!! enjoy your turkey day at home w/ your family :) Joaquin is going to be so happy to be home!!!!!

xoxox
Katie

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This will be a Thanksgiving to remember! The love and support you will have at home will be great medicine for Joaquin. I am also so proud of you Meghan--you have handled all of the bumps in the road with such grace. The love you have for your child is beautiful. I look forward to one day meeting Joaquin and giving you a big squid hug. Have a wonderful holiday!
Love,
Jill

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

patio furniture store
patio furniture store