Day by Day

A mama blogs the journey to transplant and beyond...

Friday, October 27, 2006

And Then There Were Two


The time is quickly approaching when my Mom has to return home. Thankfully she was able to work it out with the school district so that she could be here for this long - I don't know what I would have done without her. I don't think that we would have spent so much time together in the last year and a half if Joaquin had not been born. And if he had been born with no health issues, we still would not have spent so much time together and she would not have been such a huge part of Joaquin's life because of the distances separating us. If something good could have come from Joaquin's health issues, it would have been the time she spent with us. It doesn't really help to make sense of why this happened to us, but it's comforting in some way.

I'm a little nervous when faced with the prospect of all of this one-on-one time with the baby beast, a.k.a. Joaquin. I stayed at home with him his first year, but if I had a rough day with him I could just pass him off to Chris at the end of the day and get a little break. Once she leaves, it will be just me and Joaquin. I know that we will work it out and be fine. I was nervous last year when we returned home and she had to leave because she had been so much help and then throughout the year Joaquin and I got into our groove and I always had Chris to help out in the evenings and weekends.

I don't think that we will be by ourselves down in Palo Alto for more than a couple weeks. We are at a point where we are seeing the nurse and having blood drawn once a week. Chris and I have talked about having Joaquin and me move home and just come down for the weekly visits - because that will not be a long term thing. It's something I would like to discuss with the doctors, obviously. To be honest, though, I'm also nervous about leaving the closeness of the hospital. But there is really nothing that could happen that we wouldn't be able to just jump in the car and be down here in four hours. I was so nervous last year about leaving Palo Alto when we took Joaquin home on dialysis and look how that turned out. No problems - although it is a little different having a kidney instead of a dialysis machine.

Joaquin is finally adjusting to the new formula and last night we all slept through the night without Joaquin waking up because his tummy hurt and he was gassy. He is thisclose to walking - today he stood unassisted, but he is still a little hesitant to make those first few steps by himself. He just needs to build his baby confidence.

Thankfully we have had a relatively uneventful post-transplant experience so far. I attribute that to all of the thoughts and prayers we have been receiving and Joaquin's resilience.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((Meghan)))lots of hugs to you as you transition from having your mama there to help.
You two will fall into the swing of things, and be home with Chris before you know it. As far as those long exhausting days when you just want to cry and run away from the lil one (goddess knows I have those days) please know you can call me anytime anyday and while I can't physically pick him up and hold him for you so you can catch your breath, please know that I would be there to pick you up, listen and support you so that you could breathe again.
You are soooo incredibly strong, and righteous & wise & I know that this transition will go smoothly. I'm so glad that you and your mom have been able to grow so close & double nurture Joaquin with that strong Mutha's love!
Thinking of you and sending you lots of support and Much Love,
Meghan

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

patio furniture store
patio furniture store