Day by Day

A mama blogs the journey to transplant and beyond...

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Moving Up


Literally, he is moving up. Today a request was put in for Joaquin to be transfered to 3 West - which is the floor that "stable" kids go to. And today my fear of something going wrong and/or something happening has diminished...somewhat. It won't be completely dimished until he is home and we are a few years out, but for now - he is stable and that is a good thing. For those of you who don't know, the PICU, on the second floor, is a place for babes (kids too) fresh out of surergy or needing one-on-one nursing care. Once the kids go to 3 West, it is usually where they recieve 3-or-4-to-one nursing care. This is also a place where they are not constantly bothered by doctors, nursess, therapists of the whole variety. In other words, it's more of a place to actually rest and therefore heal.

Sometimes it seems ironic that the PICU is where the unstable babies needed to heal and rest: it is one of the most active, noisey, brightly lighted areas in the whole hospital. I know that the attention is needed for these kids, but let them rest for a while! Joaquin seems to not like going to sleep and I have the suspicion that it is because he's anxiously ancticipating the next person to come through the door to do something to him that he doesn't like. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are hurting him, but usually it's something unpleasant.

So, for right now he is out of his PICU room, still in the PICU ward but considered stable and awaiting the empty bed in 3 West. Hopefully that will be within the next 24 hours - it should be. There was a rumor that a liver transplant kid got first dibs on the room and I'm not in any rush - more or less, I would like the room because it has a place for Chris to sleep in it. The whole time he's been in the hospital he's been sleeping in the PICU Parent's Lounge on a recliner. Not the best sleeping arrangement, but it's close to Joaquin. Every time Chris leaves Joaquin cries, althought Joaquin seems to be on a sleeping strike (for understable reasons) Dad still needs to sleep. He's got to stay healthy for Joaquin - and for himself.

This morning when I arrived he was missing more than half of the tubes that have been inhabiting his bed with him. Fewer IV lines, no more breathing assistance aparatuses, etc. He even had his foley catheter removed - which is a line that goes through the tip of the penis (I can feel ya'll cringe right now) and into the bladder. He's got a super-pubis catheter that is standard for kidney transplant patients which goes in between his belly button and penis into his bladder. When he took my kidney he also took my ureter - the tube that connect the kidneys to the bladder and through which the urine flows. So they are letting the ureter heal and in the meantime the main source of urine output is through the super-pubis catheter. He should have the super-pubis catheter for about another week or so. The reason he had the foley catheter placed was because he was not draining enough from the super-pubis catheter and that was cause for concern. But they figured that it was because the catheter was up against the bladder which did not allow the urine to flow freely. Once that was fixed , then urine could flow and the foley was not need and hence removed.

I was able to spend more time with him today. I made two trips instead of just one. I'm feeling a lot better. I finally felt this morning that I didn't need the vicodins anymore. They were making me feel nauseous all the time. I couldn't even drink water without feeling nauseous. But I gotta figure that my body is not used to anything like that being it and for having to go through major trauma and then be pumped full of anestesia and pain relieving drugs and whatnot - it's not gonna feel good. The discomfort I feel comes from the healing process and so as long as it's not painful, then I figure I'll be alright with a couple of ibuprofen and lots of rest. Another bad side effect of lots of anestesia and pain drugs is that one tends to get *ahem* backed up - or constipated. No fun for a regular kinda gal. And today was cause for celebration in the Ronald McDonald House room 312. Mom even suggested bringing out the wine - at noon! I passed and she passed out. Just kidding. So today was good all around!

So once again thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. Keep them coming and know that they are working! The power of prayer is humbling and healing. Please let me know if I can do the same for you some day, but just know that in the meantime, you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Love to you all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meghan, Chris, and Joaquin,

Ive been thinking of you and reading your story. I truly can say that I understand...and that Ive been there. I remember when Odessa had her 2nd surgery to reverse a colostomy we were in the hospital for a long time. There were so many diff. things...from the metal cage beds, to the nurses waking her up every couple hours, not being able to eat for days b/c of the meds and the procedure itself, and of course the atmosphere at hospitals is not the most inviting...can you believe the food they try to serve sick and healing people? At the same time Ive had some of the most amazing, humbling, and deeply spiritual moments that ive ever had, in a hospital room beside my sweet child. I wish I could be there with you, bringing you food and flowers and fun things to do. you are strong and radiant, vibrant and blessed, children of the earth and sky...I honor you and feel you deeply, though we've only spent an hour together, so much love and healing prayers, Naomi in Eugene, OR

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

patio furniture store
patio furniture store