Day by Day

A mama blogs the journey to transplant and beyond...

Friday, August 25, 2006

Life Changes


It's a go. After finally calling Cathy myself today around 11:30am I got word that my blood work came back fine exept for one little abnormality which didn't really mean much. The PTT was fine and Cathy said that she just needed to call Dr. Scandling and, "give me an hour and I'll call you back." I should have known better by now because after waiting for two hours, I called her. "Oh, I was just about to give you a call," she says. Sure you were. Anyway, Dr. Scandling said he didn't see any problems with anything.

Tomorrow we will call admitting around 9:30am to find out if they have a bed ready for Joaquin or when they will have a bed ready and when they want us to come in. Hopefully it won't be until later in the day, but who knows. Then I need to be there no later than 11:00am on Sunday morning. The surgery will take place Monday morning. I will go into surgery at 8:30am and Joaquin will go in at 10:00. Donor surgeries usually take about 3-4 hours and transplants around the the same time, but with an infant it will probably take a little longer.

I think by the time I finally heard that everything was fine and ready to go this afternoon, I was so annoyed and angry by the fact the Cathy does not ever call me back when she says she will that I didn't have the reaction I thought I would when we found out it was all good. Chris said he was a little emotional after I told him the news. I'm not sure what to feel at times. I feel excited sometimes, scared others. Which is all normal, I'm sure.

I was thinking this afternoon that life is about to change for us on August 28th. By this time next week Joaquin will have a good kidney and will still be in the hospital, but he will be done with dialysis. Got me thinking about how significant life changes happen to people daily - you could be in a car accident and suffer life altering injuries or you could be barely scraping by and win a $100 million dollar lottery. The difference for us is that we can see it coming - we know it's coming. Joaquin's birth and what we went through right afterward was life changing (like the birth of any child), but we had no idea what we were in store for - and somehow I feel like that made it easier for me to deal with it. But I also think it made it all go a lot slower. I'm hoping that since we know what is about to happen and we have a good idea about how long he'll be in the hospital for, it might make it go faster. And this time I'm able to approach being in the hospital differently. I don't like hospitals. I don't like nurses coming in every four hours to bug us (although I know it's their job.) I worry how Joaquin will react to the new environment, but it seems like everytime we go somewhere new I worry about how he'll react and he doesn't seem to notice - he takes it all in stride.

I also wanted to say that if there's anyone who you might think would like to keep up to date with all of our ongoings, then please pass this blog along to them. A few people have asked and I have no problem with it.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Meghan!

Tried to send a comment last night but it was before your latest "definite" news. God has blessed your lives so incredibly that I just absolutely believe, without a doubt, that you will have a healthy "kidney bean boy" in just a few more days.

We have "prayer warriors" around the world praying for you, Joaquin, and your families.

Love ya and know that our hearts, thoughts, prayers and love are with you.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry-----forgot to sign my name a minute ago......

Love,

Aunt Pam & Uncle Ron

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay.....this "blogging" is new to me.......now I am experimenting....just know that it's because I care!!!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all so much the next few days!
Love and light,
whitney,jim and lo

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just posting all over the place ;)

Brad and I are praying for you two. You know, I don't even know you outside of the boards, but I haven't stopped thinking about the two of you all weekend - and I'll continue to think about you two, and pray until you are both well :)

Love,
Kate (phtreehuggr)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thinking of you mama!!!!

love
sharon brad nad julia!

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meghan,
I just wanted to send you lot's of love and let you know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. I am amazed by your courage and ability to continue going, never giving up. Joaquin is such an amazing little boy and is so lucky to have such a strong, amazing Mother. We are thinking of you and sending love and prayers for a quick recovery for you both.

Hugs and Kisses
xoxoxoxoxoxo

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meghan, Chris, Joaquin, and families....

I got the news that things are going well....YEEHAA!!!!!! I'm glad you made it to this point and that the healing has begun. It is amazing what we will do for the love of a child....I admire what you have done Meghan!

May God give you all the strength to continue through this journey. My prayers will continue!

Love,
Cousin Brenda

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From reading the other posts, it looks like all is good & you guys are recovering well, YAY!!! We are all sending mad phunky love and healing vibes to you & Joaquin. You are both so strong and so brave.
Much Love and Many Blessings,
Meghan & family

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

many wonderful warm healing vibes flowing out to you and joaquin...our circle in tahoe is lighting are lighting candles for health and wellness for you both. prayers, love and light,
jeremy and laurel

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was *so* happy to see that the surgeries both went smoothly! of course, you are in our thoughts today, and always :hug:

was doing a little reading & research about the procedure - did you guys go to packard?

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

patio furniture store
patio furniture store